Libor Grubhoffer was appointed Director of BC
Libor Grubhoffer will be a new Director of the largest scientific institution in South Bohemia - Biology Centre (BC) CAS. On Monday, June 26, he was appointed by the president of the Czech Academy of Sciences Eva Zažímalová. His term of office is five years and begins on July 1, 2017. Libor Grubhoffer replaces Miloslav Šimek, who has been in charge of the institution since 2012.
Libor Grubhoffer has been widely experienced in organizing and managing science. From 1994 to 2002 he led the Institute of Parasitology of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, for seven years he was a dean of the Biological (later Faculty of Science) faculty of the University of South Bohemia and in the period of 2012 - 2016 he was the rector of the University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice. For the development of the Biology Centre, he presented a clear vision of direction. "I want to develop the untapped potential of evolutionary biology and ecology that will respond to problems of global significance and sustainability of life on Earth. Besides biomedical research, it is another pillar of modern natural sciences, " says Libor Grubhoffer.
Another of the new director's plans is to support young talented scientists, to set up an International Advisory Board of BC, composed of internationally respected experts, and to hold an annual scientific conference of BC, where mainly the junior teams will take the chance to present their research. Libor Grubhoffer also wants to continue strengthening relations with South Bohemian University.
Prof. RNDr. Libor Grubhoffer, CSc., Hon. D.Sc. (1957)
- he studied biochemistry at the Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague;
- scientific aspirantry at the Institute of Serum and Vaccines and at the Microbiological Institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences in Prague in the field of microbiology / virology;
- 1992-1993 he worked at Arizona University in Tucson, USA;
- 1994-2002 he was the director of the Institute of Parasitology of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic;
- in 2001, he was appointed Professor of Molecular and Cell Biology and Genetics;
- in 2004-2011, he was Dean of Biological Faculty (since August 1, 2007, Faculty of Science);
- Since 2007, he has been the guarantor of cross-border studies of Biological Chemistry, a bachelor and master program of Southbohemian university and Johannes Kepler University in Linz;
- 2012-2016 he was the rector of the University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice;
- in 2015, he was elected as a member of the Learned Society of the Czech Republic;
- In 2016, he was appointed member of the Council of the National Accreditation Authority for Higher Education;
- In 2016, he received an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Arizona, Tucson, USA.
- In the Institute of Parasitology of the BC CAS and at the Faculty of Science of the University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice he is concerned of the biochemistry and molecular biology of ticks and pathogens transmitted by them, in particular tick-borne encephalitis virus and Lyme borreliosis spirochetes;
- he is the author or co-author of 150 scientific publications.